|Saint Thomas Academy
949 Mendota Heights Road
Mendota Heights, MN 55120
Cadet Military Awards
May 22, 2013
Every May the Saint Thomas Academy Military Department, in conjunction with members of the Armed Services, present awards to the students, including the Commandant's Medal, Cadet of the Year, and ROTC Citizenship.
This year, Col. Glen Bloomstrom, U.S. Army (ret.), was the keynote speaker. He shared his insights into leadership based on his 33-year career as an Army chaplain to elite combat units and Gen. Petraeus. Bloomstrom is currently an assistant professor of leadership development at Bethlehem Seminary in Minneapolis.
Thank you to Andy King Photography for the photos.
Instructions to save/print your photo: You may download a larger image of the photo but not of the image that pops up when you click on the thumbnail - only when you right click on the thumbnail itself and choose the "Save Link As" option on the menu. That will download the full-resolution version of the jpg.
Commandant's Legion of Valor Medal and Scholarship
|SUBJECT: Commandant's Legion of Valor Medal and Scholarship Criteria
1. The STA Army JROTC Corps of Cadets Leadership Education Training Program represents a cooperative Army-Archdiocese of Saint Paul 114-year tradition of leadership development, citizenship and service to God, country, community and fellow man. America's Legion of Valor is comprised of soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who have earned one of our nation’s two highest awards for valor, the Medal of honor or the Distinguished Service Cross/Navy Cross. Air Force Cross.
2. Today, former Army Captain, Distinguished Service Cross recipient, past Legion of Valor national Commander and STMA Class of 1941 alumnus James S. Garberg created the Commandant's Legion of Valor Award and Medal by gifting the Saint Thomas Academy Endowment Fund with $100,000. The annual earnings from this fund will be used to create a special medal for award to a selected Junior Honor Guard Cadet and a tuition grant to offset his senior year's tuition. The medal combines the Blue and White colors of STA with the unique logo of the Legion of Valor. The amount of the tuition offset will vary depending on interest earnings each year, gut once matured, should provide approximately $5000. per year.
3. Selection Process: The cadet recipient will be selected solely by the Commandant of Cadets from among the ranks of the junior class honor Guard members. The award will be announced and presented at the Spring Senior Review.
4. Criteria for Selection: Demonstrated leadership performance and potential, a respected record representing the goals and philosophy of Saint Thomas Academy in service with the Honor Guard, impeccable character, integrity and honor along with an expressed desire to continue service to America in the military. The Commandant will select a recipient and first runner-up based on his personal knowledge of eligible cadets. The selectee will receive the Commandant's Legion of Valor Medal, and enough money to pay a substantial amount of his senior year's tuition, up to the limits of the declared earnings balance after existing financial aid from other sources is determined and awarded. If there is a remaining earnings balance, it will be awarded to the runner-up. No cadet may receive an award over and above his tuition need. Incumbent in this concept is the opportunity for the award recipient to turn down the cash award, thereby affording the tuition offset to the runner-up.
5. The Commandant's Legion of Valor Award was established the 11th day of November in the year of our lord one thousand nine hundred and ninety seven.